Glam metal is a fusion of Heavy metal and Hard Rock music. Hence, Glam metal is considered as subgenres of Heavy metal and Hard rock. Glam metal is known by many other names such as hair metal, sleaze metal and pop metal. Glam combines heavy metal music with elements of pop music and punk rock; a great combination of course that includes guitar riffs, catchy hooks and appeal of 1970s Glam rock.
The origin and development of Glam metal took place in late 1970s and early 80s in United States. Pioneering Glam metal bands include Hanoi Rocks, Kix, Quiet Riot, Bon Jovi and Mötley Crüe. Growing popularity of the metal genre throughout 1980s to early 1990s gave rise to Glam bands like Cinderella, Poison and Warrant. The period from 1992 to 1996 was not good for the music genre, as it rapidly lost mainstream popularity during the period. With the beginning of new millennium, the music genre observed a revival phase and retro styled new bands including ‘Steel Panther’ and ‘The Darkness’ refreshed the memories of 1980s Glam metal.
Top 10 Glam Metal bands of all time:1. Motley Crue: Drummer Tommy Lee and bass guitarist Nikki Sixx founded Mötley Crüe in 1981. The Glam Metal band based in Los Angeles, California was one of the most hedonistic band that symbolizes entire culture of 80s glam metal music. Throughout many years, Motley Crue had been the best seller of music albums. The band has won many awards including awards mentioned below.
- ‘Dr. Feelgood’ – Favorite Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Album – American Music Awards (1991)
- ‘Mötley Crüe’ – Hollywood Walk of Fame (2006)
3. Skid Row: The rock band based in Toms River, New Jersey was founded in 1986. Their first two albums including Skid Row (1989) and Slave to the Grind (1991) earned multi-platinum certificates and left long lasting impressions on Glam music. Band members: Sebastian Bach (vocals), Rob Affuso (drums), Rachel Bolan (bass), Scotti Hill (guitar) and Dave Sabo (guitar) were part of the band’s great success. Its album ‘Skid Row’ won American Music Award for Favorite Heavy Metal/Hard Rock New Artist.
4. RATT: RATT founded in 1976 by Mickey Ratt in Los Angeles achieved huge commercial success during 1980s with many of its albums earning gold, platinum and multi-platinum certificates from RIAA. It discography includes: Out of the Cellar (1984), Invasion of Your Privacy (1985), Dancing Undercover (1986), Reach for the Sky (1988), Detonator (1990), Ratt (1999), Infestation (2010) etc.
5. W.A.S.P. - The Los Angeles metal band founded in 1982, received popularity from the classic single ‘I wanna be somebody’ from its debut album WASP. During 1980s, the band was on the crest of its success. With its music tours and live performances, the metal band left unforgettable impressions on minds and hearts of audience. Some of its popular albums are: WASP (1984), The Last Command (1985), Inside the Electric Circus (1986), The Headless Children (1989), The Crimson Idol (1992), Still Not Black Enough (1995), Kill Fuck Die (1997), Helldorado (1999), Babylon (2009), Golgotha (2015).
Other Top 5 Glam metal bands:
- Hanoi Rocks (Helsinki, Finland)
- Twisted Sister (Long island, New York)
- Lizzy Borden (Los Angeles, California)
- La Guns (Los Angeles, California)
- Loudness (Osaka, Japan).
There are many other popular and successful Hair Metal bands. Some of them are: Cinderella, Poison, Warrant, Quiet riot, Dokken, Bon Jovi, Tesla, Def Leppard, White Lion, Mr. Big, Faster Pussycat, Black n Blue, Hurricane, Kick Axe, Bullet Boys, Wild Boyz, Tora Tora, King Kobra, The Scream, Dangerous Toys, Thunder, Night Ranger, Slaughter, Firehouse etc.
Happy to announce that the list of Glam metal bands is not complete!