Like Britain, a movement for revival of heavy metal music also started in America during early 90s and took over the whole American island. The movement known as New Wave of American Heavy Metal (NWOAHM) was on its peak during early to mid 2000s. Popular American metal bands including Biohazard, Pantera, Machine Head, Korn and Slipknot played key roles in this movement. The movement breathed in a new life to Nu-metal, which was oversaturated during this period. The movement also provided a new aggression to other metal genres such as progressive metal, death metal, progressive rock, metalcore, emo, screamo, alternative metal, groove metal, hardcore, electronic rock and Christian metalcore.
In US, there are still millions of diehard metal fans (metal heads) who always wait for release of latest metal music albums.
Top 10 American Metal Bands:1. American Korn In 1993, Korn started as an American Nu metal band with its demo album ‘Neidermayer’s Mind’. The band has earned too many awards for their music albums, singles, songs, videos and live performances. Some of them are: ‘Life Is Peachy’ – Best Album (1997); ‘Freak on a Leash’ – Best Rock Video (1999); ‘Freak on a Leash’ – Best Editing (1999); ‘Freak on a Leash’ – Best Short Form Music Video (2000); ‘Here to Stay’ – Best Metal Performance (2003); ‘Korn’ – Hall of Fame (2011) ‘The Path of Totality’ – Album of the Year (2012) & many others.
2. Lamb of God This is an American groove metal band formed in 1994 in Richmond, Virginia. The metal band is also known by the name ‘Burn the Priest’. The band released many albums that earned International fame. Its discography includes: Burn the Priest (1999), New American Gospel (2000), As the Palaces Burn (2003), Ashes of the Wake (2004), Sacrament (2006), Wrath (2009) and Resolution (2012).
3. Metallica The popular heavy metal band based in Los Angeles, USA was founded in 1981. Metallica has won many awards in different categories such as Best metal performance, Best music video, Best artists, Best album, Best band and others. Some of the awards are mentioned below:
‘One’ – Best Metal Performance (1990) ‘Better than You’ – Best Metal Performance (1999) ‘Whiskey in the Jar’ – Best Hard Rock Performance (2000) ‘My Apocalypse’ – Best Metal Performance (2009) ‘Until It Sleeps’ – Best Metal Video (MTV awards 1996) ‘Metallica’ – Billboard Rock and Roll Artist of the Year (1997) ‘Metallica’ – Hall of Fame (2003) and many other awards
4. Slayer Guitarists Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman founded the Thrash metal band in 1981in Huntington Park, California. Slayer won many awards; some of them are mentioned below: ‘Eyes of the Insane’ – Best Metal Performance (2007) ‘Final Six’ – Best Metal Performance (2008) ‘Slayer’- Kerrang! Legend (2013) ‘War at the Warfield’ -DVD of the Year (2003)
5. Megadeth Bassist David Ellefson and Guitarist Dave Mustaine founded the Thrash metal band in 1983 in Los Angeles, California. Megadeath received many awards for its music albums and performances. Here are some of them. ‘Countdown to Extinction’ – Doris Day Music Award (from Genesis in1993) ‘Thirteen’ – Metal Album of the Year (Loudwire Music Awards 2011) ‘Public Enemy No. 1’ – Metal Song of the Year (Loudwire Music Awards 2011) ‘Dave Mustaine’ – Golden God (Revolver Golden Gods Awards 2009)
6. Anthrax (New York, United States): Bassist Dan Lilker and guitarist Scott Ian founded the Thrash metal band in 1981.
7. SlipKnot (Des Moines, Iowa, USA): Bassist Paul Gray and percussionist Shawn Crahan founded the metal band in 1995. For albums, performances and as the best band, SlipKnot has won 1 Grammy award, 7 Kerrang awards, 4 Metal Hammer Golden god awards, 5 Revolver golden gods awards, and 3 Total guitar readers awards. Its most popular albums include: SlipKnot, Wait and Bleed, Dead memories and Psychosocial.
8. Metal Church: Guitarist Kurdt Vanderhoof founded the heavy metal band in 1980 in San Frasico, California. In 1981, the band shifted to Aberdeen, Washington. Some popular albums are Metal Church (1984), The Dark (1986), Masterpeace (1989), and Generation Nothing (2013).
9. System of a Down (SOAD): The American rock band from Southern California was founded in 1994. ‘System of a Down’ received nominations for four Grammy Awards, and won the Best Hard Rock Performance (Grammy Awards 2006) for the song “B.Y.O.B.”
10. Eternal Legacy (Parma, Ohio, USA): The band founded in 2002 started as progressive power metal and but soon switched on to Hybrid sound by incorporating some Thrash metal elements.
Besides these, many other American metal bands earned worldwide fame. Some American metal bands that attracted huge audience are as follows:
Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera, Mastodon, Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, Machine Head, System of a Down, Type O Negative, Faith No More, Tool, Death, Six feet Under, Hatebreed, Rage against the machine, As I lay dying, Death Angel, Obituary, Chimaira, Neurosis, 10 Second Drop, 100 Demons, 12 Stones, 12 Tribes etc.
Due to lack of space, it is not possible to include names of all American metal bands. When you search on Internet, you will find many popular and successful American metal bands that are not mentioned here.